||[Sep. 2nd, 2005|12:23 pm]
|||||slightly less stressed||]|
Bleh, so much stupid drama this week. It's not even juicy drama, just dog drama =/
So last thursday my mom comes over to visit me, and she happens to bring me a little suprise - another puppy. Oh joy.
She didn't really buy it for me actually, she bought it for Bailey, so he would have a playmate while we were gone at work. This is a good idea in theory (since I agree that Bailey needs company while we're away) but it's not the best idea when the person you buy it for is not really prepared to suddenly have another puppy. Ugh, stress.
So anyway, I keep her for two days and realize that her and Bailey are not getting along very well - she didn't want to play with him and would rather just sit quietly on our laps. Because of this, we agree to give the puppy back to my mom on Monday, since she would be happy to take her, and the pup would get along better with Bleeb and Gepetto (who are much calmer than Bailey).
So by Saturday night we [thought] that we had the crazy dog situation all worked out... (yeah right)
At this point we realize that our quiet little puppy seems to be acting more like a sick little puppy, and she eventually collapses on the sofa and starts gasping for air. So it's 10pm and we rush her to Emerald City Emergency Vet Hospital, where they take excessive amounts ($$$) of chest X-rays and hook her up to all sorts of oxygen therapy and intravenous fluids ($$$!). After they look at the 3 billion xrays, they inform us that she has terrible pneumonia and the only way she will live is if she is kept in the ICU for 3 days - which would cost somewhere around $1,700. So at this point I am crying my eyes out because neither of us can come up with $1700, and my mom was on vacation and we couldn't get in touch with her at all. It is definately the most awful feeling in the whole world to know that you have the ability to save a life, but you can't because you don't have the money to do it.
So we opt for euthanasia, which we were told was our only other option. We sign to have her put down, and they bring her into the room for our last visit. It is at this point (it is past 2am by now) that the nurse tells us "Oh, by the way, Dr Allen told me that we could send her home with some medicine and you could try to treat her as an out-patient."
That's the sleaziest thing in the world!! First they say - pay us $1700 or she will die, no matter what. They put us through all that emotional turmoil and make us feel like horrible people who can't afford to save a helpless life... and then at the very end when we have to say our final goodbyes they tell us - "Oh by the way..."
So needless to say, we decide to take home some antibiotics and try to nurse her back to health from home. I still ended up paying close to $500 for the visit, but even if we had euthanized her, the bill would have been around $450 anyway.
So it's been 5 days since her trip to the hospital and she's never looked better. She's still a little gurgly in the chest, but she's super active and playful and harasses Bailey for hours (Bailey has never looked happier). We named her Olivia.
Mother fucker, I wish I wasn't such a sucker for cute animals. It's so cute though because Bobby just loves her to death.. he's such a good daddy.
I think this officially means that by the time I'm 40 I'm going to be one of those crazy animal ladies with a hundred cats and dogs, and one day the police are going to bust down my door and find my body half eaten by dogs and laying in a pool of filthy animal waste. I'm doomed.